Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Full Steam Ahead

So I'm in the middle of an intensive class at seminary, which is, for the non-brain surgeons in the crowd, where we go to class, rather intensively for a week solid, and then receive full credit. This experience is usually augmented by out of class assignments and procrastination. Or as some less studious than I like to call it, 101 thing to do on a laptop (including solitaire, free cell receives no credit).
I noticed one of my neighbors playing what appeared to be video games on his laptop during lecture. During the next break I asked what he was playing, some kind of simulator perhaps?
"oh, no, this is a train simulator"
Perhaps I heard you so drastically wrong, a train simulator?
"yeah, Microsoft train simulator, it's cool"
I spent a few more minutes watching the gameplay hoping that you'd get the chance to actually shovel in some coal, or fend off bandits. However none of these occurred, the best game that I could see was the ever popular in-game feature, "count the telephone poles".

I mean, you've got to be kidding me right? You'd think, but you'd be wrong, it's Hambone. Obviously there's an audience out there for this kind of game to exist and enough people want to drive trains around that don't want to or aren't that good at tiny models. But trains? What can you do with a train?
I can see why flight simulators exist, you can learn to fly, get more experienced at flight, crash into the ground, get more experienced, and eventually learn to crash into different things.
While a conductor makes that decision every morning: "sigh..Let's see, keep train on tracks today? Why not." Hey don't take my word for it, I've played this before. And it's rad.
Ponderance for the day: What occupation or activity could do well with an above-average simulator?
I'm off to hold up that train.

3 Comments:

Blogger Timmy Tapeworm said...

What an absolutely worthless piece of software. Man, even "Rowboat Simulator" has infinitely more options than that thing.

I'd like to see "State Representative Simulator." Gladhandle at church dinners every Sunday! Pretend to recognize people you've never met! Negotiate the state budget and still make it home in time for the 5th grade band concert!

That's a best seller, my friend.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Josh, I've been busy and I had missed your last two posts, but let me tell you... That Train Simulator was a gem. Congraduations, that's something I have officially NEVER heard of or thought possible. Seriously, don't they just have a go and stop button?

When I worked downtown St Louie, I rode the Metro into the city from East St Louis every day. I got to know the tram driver pretty well and he taught me how to drive one of those. That was pretty interesting... but not simulator interesting. It'd be cool if you had rockets and stuff and could take out buildings and cars. Or just for fun, not have the Train Crossing Baricades lower as you pummel down city streets... Destroying traffic and all in you wake! (cue evil laughter and fade out)

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second Tim's idea! And also say Happy Birthday again. Mom

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home