Thursday, October 13, 2005

Close Endorsements of the Third Kind

Well, that was carthartic, I'm sure everyone feels better, I know that I do. Thank you all for commenting, if you're keeping score at home, I'm pretty sure that this last comment tally was a personal best, and quite nerdy enough for me. Points for everyone (Tim, Susan, Peggy, and I) for identifying Ulence Flats, a destination in the popular Space Quest series. As Rob pointed out, this might have been a little obscure, but tough it's my blog. I don't know what you're talking about all the time. I just interject big words and consider the topic settled. With that, thanks everyone.

Something else has been percolating in my temporal lobe for some time: endorsements. Specifically things that don't get that much credit and yet, wholeheartly deserve it. Here are just a few of my favorites, in a series I will call "Close Endorsements of the Third Kind"

Malt-o-Meal: First, this is the company that has made hundreds of millions(fabricated) of dollars by sitting around the board room table and waiting for a brand name to make a new cereal and then push a knock off onto the shelves. It's the JC Penny's of the cereal world. Honestly, their slogan is "Betcha Can't Taste the difference", and they advertise themselves blatantly as "comparable to..."
How can these monsters do this day in and day out?
I'll tell you, by making a product with a funny name(Marshmallow Mateys, Scooters, pick your favorite), giving you 200% more for 1/3 of the price of name brand(more or less factual numbers) and that satisfaction of sticking it to the man. Turns out, both of these products are better then their brand name comparison.
C'mon, stop scoffing at the plastic bag and give 'em a chance.
And while you're doing that, I'll be reinventing SpeedKnifes-comparable to RollerBlades

4 Comments:

Blogger Timmy Tapeworm said...

Marketing nerd fact of the day: RollerBlade would rather you call them inline skates. RollerBlade is a trademarked brand name, but if it becomes ubiquitous and synonymous with the product class, they can't claim it as a trademark. Kind of like Kleenex.

This has been your marketing nerd fact of the day.

Yeah, first post! Suck it, Rob!

11:26 PM  
Blogger C_thegreat said...

Malt-O-Meal was the only way I could ever convince my mom to buy me the sugar-infested kinds of cereal.
Plus, they were on the bottom shelves, so I could actually reach them when I was little.

Northfield, MN smells like Malt-O-Meal. It's awesome.

Watch out, Tim, Rob is going to verbally butcher you. Or maybe physically, because he actually knows where you live.

~c

12:51 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

I have mixed views of generic stuff. Some things are fine to buy generic... others are not.
Sam's Choice Peanut Butter Cups: Awesome.
Generic Peanut Butter: Terrible.
Generic Soda: Great (and 25 cents)
Generic Plastic Wrap: Barely more effective than paper.

I know there's more but they're not coming to me at the moment. I just do my generic shopping on an experience based item by item consideration.

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Generic tampons aren't so hot either.

Yeah I said it.


-Keri

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home