Wednesday, October 12, 2005

40 things better than learning Greek

Da Da!(this will have more impact if it's hummed as a MIDI fanfare through tinny internal speakers, perhaps SoundBlaster.) It's my personal feeling that computer sound, gaming in particular, really dropped off once they made the move away from those handy factory internal speakers. But, hey, that's just me. The journey to Ulence Flats has never sounded so good since.*

Today this blog is coming to you direct from the fourth table of the student union during a class break, I like to think of it as my personal blog studio, but am constantly distracted by all my so-called "employees" walking around not listening to what I ask of them, telling me that they are not, in fact, employees but other students, and I should go through some Greek flashcards or something. Yes, blogging from seminary brings some new ideas to mind. As I slowly look around, I can only see students who would be happier studying Greek or Hebrew or the Restoration Movement or the historical and theological impact of the relative pronoun shown through the Greek shown in Philippians. And as I slowly look around I realized that Dum Dum DA (same MIDI sound) I am that nerd.

So, today's question will be a free confessional, with assurance of full pardon, is to admit your inner Poindexter. What is your inner nerd shame? And with a partially completed M.Div degree, I can offer you absolution (it's not really a sin, so I wouldn't sweat it that bad).

Me? I really enjoy Greek, I know, I'm a nerd. It's also occurred to me that most of this audience is also firmly entrenched in Nerd-dom, however this would be a great chance for some the readers on the fringe to free themselves of the deep-rooted nerd within. Or, my brother could just talk about comic books some more. sigh....

*Only one, maybe two other people get that. Points if you can place that, without Google, Rob. **
**For the historians' sake, that's my first footnote.

8 Comments:

Blogger C_thegreat said...

Um, I was avoiding homework so I followed Tim's link.

I'm really into Latin. Seriously into it. Two years in high school, and in another semester right now.

My favorite part is finding derivatives. Kinda like in My Big Fat Greek Wedding, but with Latin for me.

I get books out of the library that haven't been checked out for over half a century, just to feed my need.

~c

1:53 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Points for technical semi-obscure references in the first paragraph. Negative Points for calling me out on googling ancient videogame references. I didn't even own those games, that was YOUR tandy we would play those on. I mean, I could go name dropping Shamino and Iolo but I know that I was pretty much the only one to play that series. Which leads me to my nerddom point.

I WILL at some point, put together an old computer for the sole purpose of playing Ultima. They won't run on current machines, so I'm going to make an Ultima Box. I think that's pretty nerdy. One of my life goals is to beat every Ultima game, I don't think I've ever actually beat one.

*4/4 Still first to post.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

ARUGHH!!! Curse you Corie!!!


Sorry, that was gut reaction. I didn't mean it. Well played Corie, well played.

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay time for the wife to make a statement. i like puzzles. you know, the jig saw puzzles, and yes that is as nerdy as i get. okay, i know it may take me longer than the average joe to put them together, but that's not my fault! when there is a tablecloth over the top of it...well out of sight, out of mind.

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just guessing, but I'll bet Ulence Flats refers to a place in a long ago video game like Gold Rush or Oregon Trail. Right? Mom, the Ultimate Gamer

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it more dorky to reference a computer game played as a youth, or better that both Rob and my Moms' know what we're talking about. Not only are those Moms invested in our collective lives, they are both fully aware that we're both dorks.
How silly is blogging? Next up: Just how classy can off-track betting get?

10:42 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Oh I think WE know the answer to that. Even the bathroom was nice in that place. Anyway, my nerddom is strewn over my blog like the wreckage from a now defunct TWA airliner. Even that (finely aged) reference displays a little. Here's a fun new example: I recently spent a stats period playing through the original Oregon Trail on a computer I downloaded an Apple II emulator on.

Oh and Allyn? I think you forget about a little game dubbed Jewel Theif. Come out of the nerd server closet.

- Scott

11:36 PM  
Blogger Timmy Tapeworm said...

Yeah! Nerds unite! Yeah comic books!

That's really funny that we're talking about this because I just had the same conversation with my roommates tonight. They were making fun of my new comic books, which is definitely something Tim-from-a-year-ago would have joined in on. But now, thanks to Raph the Jerk, I can't.

(Interestingly, I just e-mailed up about a comic book that came out today because I needed something explained. He said that he hasn't been to his comic book store in a couple weeks because he's been so busy with school. So at present, I'm a bigger comic book nerd than he. Great.)

Yeah Ulence Flats! Gamble away your buckazoids while the non-licensed images of ZZ Top play in the background!

1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home