Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Tectonic Plates

So I was the science teacher for 6th-8th grades today, another easy day, as I was relegated to the showing of videos and the passing out of worksheets. I've got Greek to memorize and world domination plans to firm up, so I'm alright while the kids learn about volcanoes.

However, while I call roll to make sure no one misses out, I'll ask them for their ideal super power, or what color light saber they want. Kids love it and it's better than hearing "present" 27 times, and then one kid making fart sounds when I call his name. If anyone's going to make fart noises in my class its me, kids, grow up.

So I was calling roll for my second 6th grade class, polling for super powers, nothing different about this class. Responses were falling out pretty predictably:
"Flying"
"Gills, to breathe underwater"
"Super Speed"
"Meat Vision"
"Super Stren-"
What? I turned to the student in question and asked him to clarify, he must have meant heat vision, or was grossly misinterpreting the superhero creed. His explanation, more or less ver batium,

Umm, yeah, whenever I wanted, I could look at something and hot dogs would come out of my eyes.

I'm not sure if this kid was really hungry, or was intending to shoot things with hotdogs or other forms of meat, or if this was the long way around the problem of world hunger. Maybe this kid wasn't clear on exactly what I was asking, or what a superhero is, or does.

The youth of America are exploding, one Sub at a time.

And yes, I'm 25 tomorrow. So old.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Happy Birthday Josh!
Since we already discussed your topic for today in person, I'm just going to reitterate how flippin' awesome your present is and how I hope it comes in today. Greatest Present all year... I'm telling you.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Timmy Tapeworm said...

I've always wanted the ability to create smoke signals without starting a fire. But meat vision sounds pretty awesome too.

Hey, happy birthday, bro! Have a great quarter-life crisis!

2:55 PM  
Blogger tara d. said...

meat vision is, bar-none, one of the funnier things i've heard lately. it's also the name of my new improv team.

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! enough said.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Timmy Tapeworm said...

Hey, Rob's all up on my blog now, bragging about how he gave you the most awesome present of all time. Is this true? If so, discuss.

12:16 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

I second that. I want to hear a "Josh Ryder Award Ceremony." I expect to hear about a little silvery thing, a gift that helps you get a better "grip" on things, and mine... the best.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home