Monday, January 09, 2006

Games of all Kinds.

Because nothing seems to be flowing today, I'll reach way back into the memory sludge, past the song lyrics and Greek that's clogging much of my synapses and jiggle loose the first couple thoughts that have any sort of cohesion. Turns out, Board Games win the day.

When my brother Tim and I were growing up we would play "Life: the Game". When Tim's blue peg got married to another pink peg I wouldn't let him name his own wife. I got to pick his wife's name. And it was always Princess Gyndolyn. No reason, but Tim never liked it.

Young enough to waste hours playing Monopoly, but old enough to understand property value, I couldn't understand why Mediterranean got such the shaft. Shouldn't the lot that shares a property line with Start do a little better than that?

Finally, when T and I were growing up, we invented a game called "Spend, Save, or Throw". We started out with all the nerf balls we could and then threw them at each other from across the room. Hold on, the game gets better, give it a chance. When we hit each other or a target, like our Father, we got an certain amount of money, which we could use to purchase additional pillows, mattresses, or other fort-making material.
The only hitch of the game occurred at the point where you earned money for either catching something or hitting something. Because Tim and I have always been concerned with economics, you must deposit currency to keep the game afloat. Otherwise, just about anyone could finance a fort on credit. And we were supposed to wait until they caught the requisite 40 balls it would take to pay off the loan?
This is why Tim and I ran to the federal mint and minted money every time we earned it. This became increasingly difficult because in the time to hit someone with a nerf ball and scrawl the official currency of SS&T(a piece of scratch paper from the tablet by the phone) and get back to the game took about a minute and a half. The actual game took days to play and saying the game moved slow was pretty generous. Most of the competition was in the running back and forth and frantically trying to peg anything peeking from the opposite fort.
This game never caught on.
But I did have dreams of being on the Alligator Charge Olympic Team.

1 Comments:

Blogger Timmy Tapeworm said...

Geez, I totally forgot about writing that book about professional health care opportunities. IN DUTCH. Sometimes I forget how amazing I am. Then little things like that remind me.

Also, it was Princess Gwyndolyn. Gwendolyn? Whatever, however it's spelled, it's not Gyndolyn. It's definitely a "gwuh" sound at the beginning.

Finally, "When we hit each other or a target, like our Father..."

Let me tell you, it took a heck of a throw to hit God. But when you did, BONUS POINTS!!

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home