Thursday, December 08, 2005

Things I didn't know before yesterday

You wouldn't know to look at this, but Blogger has decided that if I did this entry a second time, it would improve over the first edition that it "lost" within the confines of the somewheres.

One of the benefits of subbing is that I do get to teach with the knowledge of what I knew then, only making the stuff that I do now only that much radder. Like what you may ask? I get to grade stuff with the red pen. THE red pen man. And I get to sit with the teachers during lunch, at the teachers table. Where they talk about how they don't have homes and sleep at school. Turns out, they want snow days just as much as the snow-starved kids around them. And the things that the teachers are doing on the sub days I've taken this week? Buying gifts and wrapping at home. Really, teachers do that?

So the downside is that I've found that I'm distracted by exactly the same things that third graders are. Today while learning all about Captain Miles Standish, we all paused to look at the snow falling outside, and didn't zone back in until sometime after the first Thanksgiving. And did recess take a little longer then it usually does? Perhaps, but that's only because really wanted to finish my Connect 4 game and I control when we do stuff.

Speaking of Mr. Standish, where did all this knowledge go? The other day a student asked me about the difference between meiosis and mitosis. I showed him I could use my hands to make fart noises and he was impressed just the same. I'm pretty sure that the only thing that I had down in third grade was kickball and walking, and even walking was 50/50 most of the time.

Survivor is on tonight, and I'm hoping that Stephanie gets voted off twice. And again, The Office, best show on TV, second only to Charlie Brown Christmas, some things just get better since third grade.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

speaking of survivor...sorry your pick got voted out...not really...he was a jerk. as for who will gte voted out today...i used to like steph, but now i dont know...i really think i want rafe to win, but honestly, the two people that play the game best right now are steph and rafe...seriously.

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home